Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Church and Children

So, I have done it again. I said yes. It is amazing what happens when you go to a church, open your mouth, and say that one little three letter word. Let me back up and tell you the story from the beginning. I went to St. Paul's for the second time on Sunday. I couple came up to me and the girl I was with during coffee hour. They are late twenties to 30 years old. They were told that they should introduce themselves to us, because they are American and we are American. It turns out that he is on a fellowship to work on his doctoral thesis about early Christianity and Corinth (with a few more details that I can't remember). She is in the process to ordination in the Presbyterian church. She got her M.Div at Boston University, and he got his last degree at Harvard. When she found out that I am going to be a pastor, she was very excited. We had some of a chat, and then she disappeared, presumably to choir practice. About ten minutes later, she comes running out and grabs me and says that she has a wonderful opportunity for me. She said that the children's program needs help. It would be a wonderful opportunity to work with immigrant children (most Anglican children in Greece are immigrants or children of immigrants). So I told her that last summer I worked as a children's director, and said "sure." Next thing I know, I am inside the church talking to a lady named Linda about the children's program. We planned to meet on Tuesday (yesterday) to discuss the children's program. So we met yesterday, over hot chocolate, and talked for 2 hours about the situation they are in. Basically, we need to get the families to bring their kids back, and we have to fight much adversity. You cannot walk from door to door, it all needs to be personal contact, or you will get arrested for proselatyzing. That is illegal. So, she informs me that my job is to figure out how we can get this going with a bang, get the families to bring in their kids, and keep them coming. I have until Sunday to figure this out, and two weeks from Sunday we want to start. Not much time, in a country where I do not yet know the culture. So, that is the challenge ahead of me. I could definitely use all your prayers. Hopefully, we will reach these families, and have the opportunity to teach their kids. Wish us luck.

So, I am still trying to get started on aikido. I don't think I have told you about this yet. I decided to do aikido in order to learn a new martial art and fill my evenings. So, I took a trolley there on Thursday. The sensai wasn't there, so I couldn't sign up. I sat and watched that day. I went back on Friday, met the sensai and filled out paperwork, but I needed to bring in a copy of my passport and two small pictures. I went back yesterday, so equipped, expecting to finally get started. However, my gii (the uniform) was not in yet, much to the sensai's chagrin. I also, expecting the gii, did not take sweat pants with me, so I could not get started. Hopefully (fingers crossed) my last class will end early today, like it has every other time, and I can get there in time to start tonight. Otherwise, tomorrow, I should finally start. Finally. It has been an ordeal.

Well, hopefully I will soon have a little more of Greece to tell you all about soon.

Yia sas!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment