Friday, February 20, 2009

Mysteries of Modern Greek

Not much interesting has happened lately, but I can tell you of the joys of learning a new language. Learning Modern Greek in Greece is fascinating, because I can actually apply what I have learned in my every day life. For instance, the best place to practice numbers is the farmer's market. A good place to learn the difference between left and right is in my Aikido class. Aikido is also a good place to just hear Greek spoken, even if I have no clue what they said. Usually somebody speaks enough English to help me out, but occasionally the instructor will talk for 5 minutes straight about something, and I will have no clue what he is saying.

We had our second Modern Greek test this week and I did something a bit stupid. We were supposed to fill in the blanks in a dialogue between a kiosk ower and a customer. At one point the kiosk owner asks the customer meepos echete psila, do you have smaller money. What I put down instead was meepos echete philo, do you have a boyfriend. I guess he was being flirty.

I also accidently have told people that I don't speak English. Usually when that happens I have mixed up "I don't speak Greek" and "I speak English".

For the most part I am getting more used to speaking what Greek I can whenever I get the opportunity. I now know how to order in a cafe in Greek, and I am really getting quite good at the various words I need to order a gyro. I know chicken, pork, tzatziki, tomato, potato. But then I get thrown off whenevr somebody doesn't speak in complete sentences to me, because that is how I am learning. So, please, when speaking to somebody who knows little English... speak in complete sentences. Chances are they are learning in phrases rather than random words.

Tomorrow, I will try again for the Acropolis and next weekend is Ephesus and Istanbul. Don't worry, I will let you all know everything.

kalispera!

No comments:

Post a Comment