Saturday, January 23, 2010

Last post from Israel

Shalom chaverim,

Today, we meet to leave in just four hours. This was our last day in Israel as well as our last free day, so I used it to do what I have not yet had time to do.

First, I returned to the Garden Tomb. I got there with my Bible and my iPod, so I could listen to some music if there were too many distractions. I arrived at 9, when they opened, and stayed for close to two hours. For awhile, I wandered around the garden, quietly. It definitely is a place conducive to feeling close to God. Almost nobody was there, so it was devoid of human noise. There was much noise from birds, and occasionally I could hear sounds of traffic. Eventually, I went and sat on a step overlooking the tomb. I did not go in yet, but just sat. The only other people around were a few individuals and a tour group. Eventually the tour group approached the tomb, and the guide related the story of Easter, as they got very excited because Christ is Risen!, as they kept shouting. I read through the various empty tomb narratives in the Bible...in Luke I actually started with the Last Supper and went to the end. The group went up onto a platform and had a communion service. I was wanting to be a part of a community there, but I did not know them, so I sat below and sang along with them as they sang Easter songs. They actually brought me some communion. They only had enough juice for them, but I was given bread, when they noticed me sitting there. It made my day. That gesture meant quite a lot to me. After they finished and we sang "Because He Lives," they filed down and out past me. Many of them stopped to speak to me. I was thanked for joining them, and people said to me "Shabbat Shalom" and "He is Risen," to which I responded without thinking "He is Risen Indeed." I was given a hug, and wished luck with my studies. I found out that they were a group of 7th Day Adventist pastors from Ohio, so it pleased them to hear that I am from Indiana. I did not think to tell them that I was going to Ohio next year. Their gestures to me meant a lot, and it alleviated my desire to be there with a community. I thank them, even though none of them will probably ever read this blog. After the service, I went down one last time into the tomb then left.

After my morning at the Garden Tomb, I feel rather refreshed. I went shopping on my way back through the Old City, and I finished off my souvenir shopping. I sent a postcard, am pretty much packed except for this computer, had some olive pizza (ran into a lot of DePauw people in doing so), and now just have to figure out what to do for the next 4 hours.

We get on the plane late tonight and I will land tomorrow in the middle of the day.

From Israel, for the last time this trip, Shalom.

No comments:

Post a Comment