Friday, January 23, 2009

Adventures in Athens

More fun in Athens has taken place after a few days. Trekking around Athens has brought many adventures.

A few days ago, in a wild search for a bank, Phoebe (one of my roommates) and I spent an hour and a half finding a bank that was 10 minutes from where we started. We walked down one road past men in short white skirts, long wool socks, and pom poms on their shoes (pictures will follow in a later post) guarding some buildings. We got to see the changing of the guards. It turns out those are young men fulfilling their military service in the tradition outfit of Greeks over 200 years ago. From there we walked a couple miles, realized we were going the wrong way, and found our way back to the banks. It was an adventure.

Yesterday after classes Phoebe and I went to the Acropolis and Aereopagus. Unfortunately we arrived too late to enter the Acropolis, but I got to touch one of the buildings on the Acropolis. We raced when we realized what we were standing beside. I also got a picture sitting on the Aereopagus near the summit where Paul would have converted many Athenians, including Dionysus. It was so cool!! Athens was so beautiful from that high up.

I also had my first truly Greek gyro, and it was unlike anything you can get in the US. It was absolutely amazing. One thing I have discovered is that restaurant owners or workers (I don't know which) will stand at the door and ask you to come in as you walk past. some of them get pretty insistent. They really want customers and they know that Americans eat at a different time than Greeks. Greeks eat dinner between 9 and 11 PM.

Classes started yesterday, as I already mentioned. I had Orthodox Church and Modern Greek. When my Orthodox Church professor walked in, my first reaction was "Is he wearing a dress?" Then I realized it was a robe and wondered if he was a monk. But I didn't know if the Greek Orthodox has monks. It turns out they do, but he wasn't a monk. Then I figured he was probably a priest. All of this took place within less than 30 seconds. The first thing he told us was that he is a Man in Black. Actually a priest. Orthodox priests just walk the city in black robes and beard and some wear a funny hat. I saw one yesterday with the hat. My professor is a parish priest. It promises to be a good class. One thing he is having us do is find a Greek Orthodox and ask them about their relation to the church and the religion. He said that people are more likely to talk to a stranger than a priest and he is using us for research!!! That way he can do more what the people want!! Through this class, I will definitely meet Greeks. Both through this interview and by going to a church service or two for class.

Modern Greek was also fun. The pronunciations are very different from Ancient Greek. Everybody in my class has done Ancient Greek, so my class is accellerated. We don't have to spend as much time on the alphabet, for example. We are all having trouble with the pronuciation differences. We are moving pretty fast and it is a little overwhelming, but it is fun. The worst part will be switching back and forth between ancient and Modern Greek pronunciations each day I have both classes. Make it even more confusing.

This afternoon I have Ancient Greek:Homer and Acient Greek Mythology and Religion. I got my books for the latter class and I am reading the Odyssey and the Iliad. So I am reading Homer in English and Greek. Interesting overlap.

I met a guy who is in three of my classes who attends Notre Dame and I am meeting many other people as well. My roommates, Meghan and Phoebe, are very nice and we all do Ancient Greek. Meghan is also reading Homer this semester, but in a different section, and we are all in the accellerated Modern Greek. It is helpful to have us all with the same interests. We think that must have been planned.

Well, I am off to class. We have a hike tomorrow. See you all later!! yia sas!!!

2 comments:

  1. Melissa:
    I certainly enjoyed reading about your classes. I remember how sketchy was my own Greek language experience. I had 2 years of classical Greek. We read a great deal of Menander and a little of Homer. When I got to Seminary I managed to waive intro to NT Greek and started right in on the Gospel of Mark. But my preparation was poor, although it was better than most of my fellow students' preparation.

    I really envy the experiences you are having. I am very impressed with the Orthodox Church. I have become aware that there are many leaders in the Campus Crusade for Christ. These evangelical, conservative, intellectual Christian leaders, arrived at an intellectual decision that the Church they wished to affiliate with was the Orthodox Church.

    My wife grew up Orthodox Christian in Palestine, and was a part of the Antiochan Orthodox Church. At family weddings and baptisms, and ethnic festivals I have been able to gain familiarity, and to read widely in their literature.

    I pray that you will grow deeply in your understanding of the way in which God has been at work to communicate the living faith in our changing cultures.

    Val Harris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to laugh as I was picturing you seeing your Orthodox church professor. I could see the amusement in your eyes as you "took in" the dress and the cultural differences. I so envy your classes (well, not Greek). Learning is such a privledge and an honor. We continue to pray for you daily and watch your blog for every update. Take lots of pictures in your mind of every sight, smell, taste, sound and touch. These memory pictures will last a lifetime!

    ReplyDelete