Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Arrival

Study abroad has begun.

After just under 24 hours in airports or on plane, I finally made it to my apartment. That was three plane trips. At least the entire time, there were people to talk to. Every plane had a significant group of study abroad students going all over Europe. My final plane which went to Athens with about 60 of us heading to the same program.

Arrival in Greece was not without its problems. One of my suitcases apparently decided to stay behind in London, so it took quite awhile to stand in line to report the problem. After doing that, and discovering that I should get my luggage today...the big group of us left that area to find together the lady holding a sign for our group. Then we discovered that we all had to wait for the two or three approved cabs to the apartments...two people at a time. That took quite awhile. It was amazing riding in the cab looking at Athens. Absolutely beautiful. Our cab driver spoke no English but was enjoying herself teaching us Greek.

After setting up at the apartment, we headed to the academic center. I can see the Acropolis from the balcony! We then sat for an hour and a half waiting for the people to call us back to meet. By 7:30, we started to look for food. By 8:30, we managed to find the market to buy some food, and discovered that there are no fruits and vegetables in the market. You have to go to the farmer's market for that. Eventually we found our way back to the apartment in the dark.

Today, the only things on the schedule are picking up books at our allotted times and the presidential inauguration. Hopefully I will get to do some sightseeing soon. I will be sure to let everybody know about that when it happens. Classes start Thursday, and orientation is tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Megan really wants to tell you that we sang amazing grace today in church, she also wanted you to know that some of the verses were in greek! She tried singing them to you but I don't think it worked...
    Deanna doesn't have much to say, but she misses you and wishes to tell you hi! And that she likes pie.
    I(Katie) want to say I'm missing you too and enjoy Greece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are in Greece safe and sound. It sounds like such an exciting adventure - clear down to loosing your luggage, taking a cab through Athens, and walking the streets at night. I am so jealous! Ha. Keep yourself safe and never walk the streets alone (that is the mother coming out in me). We are praying for you daily. Love you. Jayna (and Pastor Steve)

    ReplyDelete