Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Learning more

My two classes which you have not yet heard about are Ancient Greek:Homer, and Ancient Greek Myth and Religion. The latter seems like it will be boring so far. Of course, that could be because we spent our last class basically doing an overview of what I learned in Greek Civ last year.

Homer is difficult. So far we have had about 35 lines a night. That is actually less than I had last semester with New Testament, but it is new vocab and some new grammer. He does some strange conjugations and such. We are reading books 6 and 7 of the Iliad. The other Homer class is reading book 5. So far we are moving faster than the other class. There are 14 people in our class, so each person only gets to translate 2-3 lines per class period. That stinks a bit. None of us are used to that. The good thing is that we may not have tests. We will only have tests if he deems them necessary.

Sunday I found a church and went to St. Paul's Anglican church. It was very similar to what I am used to. The order of service and even the liturgy and identical tot eh United Methodist Church. The big differences are two. First, the sermon is very different from what I am used to. He really just talked about who Paul was and what he did. It was more like a lecture than a exhortation to live your life in a certain way. Little practical application is offered. The second difference was that they use wine in communion. I have only had wine a couple of times in communion, and then it was nasty and I was only given enough to wet my lips. With my limited experience, I think this was actually good wine. Also, they held the chalice for me and just kept tipping it, so it was swallow or get it all over myself. I got quite a gulp, and it made me light headed for about 10-15 minutes. It was really strange. I imagine I will get used to it over the semester.

A fun part was that they were celebrating the Feast of St. Paul's conversion. The priest kept talking about how Paul walked and taught and ate and worked within 15 minutes of where we sat. He preached nearby at the Aereopagus. The church was called St. Paul's Anglican Episcopal. The priest sends greetings to my home church... so Greetings Grace!!

It is time to head off to market, so as the Greeks say... yeia sou!! Good bye!!

No comments:

Post a Comment